Home > Announcements, Opera Mobile > Opera opens new Poland office; to work on browser for Verizon customers

Opera opens new Poland office; to work on browser for Verizon customers

November 20, 2006

Earlier this month Opera Software opened up a new office in Poland.

The story behind this new office is quite interesting. We got a call from this Polish company that was about to lay off all its employees and close shop. They called us asking if we’d like to hire any of them. For some odd reason Opera gets calls like this all the time.

This company had many highly technical mobile phone developers and engineers. We hired only the best of the best from the now defunct company. Twenty three of them now work in Opera Software’s mobile and devices divisions.

In addition to porting the Opera browser to the Linux platform on devices, they will also work on porting the Opera Mobile and Opera Mini browsers to the BREW platform. Most Verizon mobile phones (in the United States) run the on the BREW platform. This means that Verizon Wireless customers will soon be able to use Opera Mini on their phones too.

Opera is able to run on about 70 percent of the US mobile phones, the other 30 percent run on the BREW. Our goal is to get the Verizon Wireless users on board the Opera Mini experience too.

A hearty welcome to my new colleagues in Poland. 🙂

Advertisements
  1. November 20, 2006 at 5:29 pm

    We got a call from this Polish company

    Which company?

  2. November 21, 2006 at 2:00 am

    Benq-Siemens apparently.

  3. WildEnte
    November 21, 2006 at 9:14 pm

    I knew Benq-Siemens had trouble in Germany, but in Poland?

  4. WildAnt
    November 22, 2006 at 4:51 am

    There were never company named BenQ-Siemens. The company name was and is BenQ (BenQ Poland sp. z o.o. for Wroclaw site) and they were making (and still) products under BenQ Siemens brand.

  5. WildAnt
    November 22, 2006 at 6:58 am

    There was never a company called BenQ-Siemens. The company name was and is BenQ (BenQ Poland sp. z o.o. for Wroclaw site) and they were making (and still are) products under BenQ Siemens brand.

  6. smyru
    November 25, 2006 at 4:03 am

    The people worked for R&D center of mobile Siemens division, that was sold to Benq and recently decided to be shut down by Benq.

  7. jc
    November 30, 2006 at 8:30 pm

    Yea! About time!……. Verizon puts a crimp in all its customer’s phones!

  8. Greg
    January 7, 2007 at 1:17 am

    Man, I’ll be the first in line to pay $30 for Opera for my V3m on my damned brew enabled phone.

  9. May 13, 2007 at 11:52 pm

    OMG! THANK YOU! I’ve been wanting to use Opera on my phone since forever…but i’ve been stuck with verizon which just HAS to be different and run BREW instead of java. I really hope you guys finish this project for verizon phones soon! Thanks again!

  1. No trackbacks yet.
Comments are closed.
%d bloggers like this: